False!
Three years ago I would never dream of trading my gym floor work out for whatever class was going on in the group class rooms. A guy named Richard approached me and asked if I was interested in any classes and would I like to take one. I thought to myself, “I am going to hate this but I will try it”. I tried the class. It was fun but I still wasn’t convinced it was right for me. I continued to work out by myself doing the same type of work out every day. I challenged myself and was doing a pretty good job staying motivated and keeping fit. Time passed and Richard approached me again and asked if I would ever be interested in teaching a class. I explained to him that I taught some classes in college and it has something to do with my degree so I would look into it. This conversation led me to become certified in Step Aerobics and as time passed three more certifications found their way into my repertoire.
Back to the topic mentioned above!
Today I had some free time and decided to work out with a friend. Since I teach eight plus classes per week I don’t have much time to work out in a non-class setting like I used to. I was nervous that my strength and conditioning in free-weights and running had been lost.
Wow! I was elated to discover that not only could I lift as much as before but I could also run long distances faster than before. Is there a chance that it was a”skill versus will” type mind-game? Sure, my determination to succeed in this workout probably got me passed a few barriers. Whatever the case may be it is exciting to know that I haven’t lost my gains in what used to be a daily ritual for me.
As an advocate for group exercise, of course I want everyone to take group classes. Do I want all of you to instruct? Of course not! I want to keep my job (attempt at humor so please laugh). On a serious note, there are many benefits to group exercise. Group exercise gives you a chance to work out and have fun. In addition it becomes a chance to build relationships. The relationships you build become motivation to not only push you they also provide healthy competition among you and your peers.
Gym Bumz has a variety of classes taught by certified instructors. Go to our website (www.gymbumz.com) or stop at the front counter to check out the class schedule.
If you haven’t taken a group class before I invite you to try one. If you have tried classes before come on back until you find the one that suits you.
Hope to see you soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment